Friday, April 15, 2011

Braeside and Edithvale Wetlands






After a couple days of persistent rain, the sun made an appearance and I was all too eager to take a few photos. My first stop was at the Boundary Rd/Rossiter Rd wetlands adjacent to Melbourne Water. An Australian Hobby was in its usual spot alongside the road but traffic prevented me from capturing a photo of it. Australian Shelducks, Pelicans, Cormorants, and many other waterbirds were present but a group of ten Cattle Egrets caught my eye. One of them caught a field mouse just as I was about to photograph it.

My next stop was Braeside Park where you never know what you might see. A swamp skink sat on a log long enough to take a snap and an Australasian Grebe was also co-operative.

From Braeside, I made the short trip to Edithvale Wetlands looking for Buff-banded Rails. Lots of Sulphur Crested Cockatoos, Chestnut and Grey Teals, Black Swans, Eastern Rosellas, Herons, Swamphens, Moorhens, but no Rails. On a small island in a pond, the reeds moved so I went around the other side to see what it might be. To my surprise a huge rat was staring at me, with its reflection casting a double glare.

No comments:

Post a Comment