Friday, June 15, 2012

Wedge Tailed Eagle over my backyard

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Posted by Picasa

I was cleaning up some tree branches when I was alerted to the presence of a Wedge Tailed Eagle by the local birds going beserk. My camera wasn't too far away so I rushed inside to get it but only to discover that the eagle had disappeared. A quick walk around the paddocks and I could see it perched in a gum tree about 100 metres away.

It wasn't long before it was flushed out by a pair of angry magpies and a couple of ravens, beginning to soar majestically as only an eagle can do.

There was little time to check the settings on my camera so I blasted away as it flew directly over me with some of the shots filling the viewfinder, capturing only part of the bird. Here's a few quick snaps that I managed to take less than an hour before making this post.

6 comments:

  1. These are fantastic images! The wedge-tailed eagle moves so fast, I find it hard to get a decent picture of them flying! Well done, they are great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks J Gray, I have spent a fair amount of time practising bird in flight shots. Even though I am getting some good shots I know that I have to keep trying to get better. Fortunately I have been in the right spot at the right time so keep on practising and you will get the right shots.

      Delete
  2. Hi I love your photos! I am in year 7 at Port Augusta School of the Air and I am designing a cover for our school magazine. I was wondering if I could use your eagle picture on my cover? I would remove your background and put it on a picture of Port Augusta with some other animals. May I have your permission to do this?
    AW
    Yr7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for the comment and I'm glad you like my photo. Please feel free to use this photo in your school magazine and I hope it goes well for you.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much, I am really excited about this! :D

      Delete
  3. Hi Wampy, I am a founding member of a new jazz band in Brisbane called "The Big Eagle Jazz Band" and am creating a logo for the band. I grew up on a farm at Dalby and for many years we had a family of eagles near us in a clump of trees so I love these photos you've caught. Anyway I just want to use the outline of the eagle from one of your photos, not the actual photo, in the logo. Could I have permission to do this? Cheers Dan Cosgrove

    ReplyDelete