Monday, October 29, 2012

Don't leave valuables in your car

While I was out photographing birds at Flinders in Victoria, someone smashed my rear window and stole my camera bag containing a Canon 550D, 3 lenses, a video camera, and various accessories.

I lodged a report at Rosebud police station and have since installed a chrome extension called Stolen Camera Finder. If any photos using this camera are uploaded to the web then hopefully I will be able to track it down.

Not a happy chappy at the moment, and tomorrow it will cost me more than $400 to replace the glass.

I find it to be quite sad when you can't go somewhere for fear of being robbed or vandalised.

5 comments:

  1. Geez mate that's no good. I must admit to being slack in this regard as well. Then it just comes down to luck I guess. Awful, awful feelings on so many levels.
    Pete

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Pete, it sure leaves a bad taste and will take a few days to recover, but at least I still have my 7d and 400mm lens to keep me happy. I was a bit slack leaving it in the car but what's the point of having the gear if its not there when you need it. It's a notorious location for break ins.

      Delete
  2. A really tough thing to happen. I hope your insurance cover is good! Even if it is it takes time to replace items. Popular tourist places up here have notices about theft from vehicles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Mick, my insurance won't cover it, won't even cover the damage to the car. Thinking about ditching insurance if it can't help me when I need it. I was aware of the dangers but you can't let that stop you from enjoying the parks and beaches.

      Delete
  3. Oh now devestating! There are some really lousy people. That is just awfull, and to lose the images that you had also is upsetting.

    ReplyDelete