Wednesday, November 21, 2012

South Gippsland Tour

South Gippsland is a beautiful part of Victoria, especially on a sunny day. And yes, we had blue skies, a rare occurrence of late. Starting at Kilcunda, the Bunurong coast takes you past Wonthaggi, Cape Patterson, and Inverloch. There are many good birding spots along the way including the Wonthaggi wetlands but I wasn't birding today. From there I travelled to the Cape Liptrap Coastal Park going via Tarwin Lower, a delightful little spot on the Tarwin River.


Cape Liptrap views

Cape Liptrap Lighthouse

Easterly view from Cape Liptrap, Wilson's Prom in the background

While walking on the path towards the lighthouse at Cape Liptrap, I spotted two whales breaching about 400m off shore. This is the first time I have ever seen a whale, and my camera was in the car! I rushed back to get the big lens but by the time I returned the whales had disappeared.

After Cape Liptrap it was off to Walkerville South to see the historic Lime Kilns and a spot of lunch on the pristine beaches where cars often drive along the shoreline.

Walkerville lone pole

Lime Kilns at Walkerville South
 

My final destination was Sandy Inlet and Waratah Bay for my best chance at a bit of birding. With the tide low, the only access was to drive along the beach, and it is a vast beach at low tide. Many people were fishing in their boats, sailboarding, kite surfing, walking their dogs, or just lazing in the sun. If this was in Queensland, I am sure there would be thousands of people occupying this wonderful location.

On the exposed mudflats, I counted as many as 25 Eastern Curlews,10 Royal Spoonbills, and many Black Swans.

Sandy Inlet

Meeniyan

Eastern Yellow Robin

Gang Gang Cockatoo

Spoonbills and Curlews at Sandy Inlet
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment