Friday, November 16, 2012

Tern Tern, Tern

Not the song by The Byrds, but birds themselves. I spent most of the afternoon at Stockyard Point waiting for the tide to bring the birds to me. Many shorebirds flew in including godwits, sandpipers, avocets and stints. Five different species of Tern came and went over the 3 hour period including one that I cannot identify as yet.


Gull-billed Tern

Immature Gull-billed Tern

Whiskered Tern

Gull-billed Terns and unidentified on right

Caspian Tern

Crested Tern
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

  1. Wayne, I've just looked at a map & realised I pass by this place so often on the South Gippy. Is it much of a walk? Public access?
    Three hours in such a spot is serious birding! I'm impressed! I am yet to see gull-billed terns in Vic. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Pete, it's about a 1km walk along the beach from the Jam Jerrup car park at the southern end of Bay Rd

      Delete
  2. I love watching terns in flight and your pictures really capture their beauty. The small tern could be a Little Tern in non-breeding plumage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks John, you may be right about the Little Tern but the leg colour has me confused, it seems to be orange/brown

      Delete
    2. Checking Pizzey & Knight again - possibly immature Fairy Tern?

      Delete
    3. also a possibility, beak and leg colour are the key so I'll have to get a better photo. Thanks John.

      Delete