Sunday, June 30, 2013

Cape Woolamai

The weather has been fantastic all week but I had to wait until friday before sneaking out to Cape Woolamai on Phillip Island. There had been reports of blue winged parrots in the area but alas, I did not get to see any. But I did get to see several species including Brown Falcons, Black Shouldered Kites, a Whistling Kite, an Australian Kestrel, a Wedge Tailed Eagle, Flame Robin, Spiny Cheeked Honeyeater, and many more.


To quote George Costanza: "The sea was angry that day, my friends"
 
 
 

Beautiful view of the shoreline from the cape.
 
 

Something I did not want to see, a young wild cat indicating a successful breeding colony.

Whistling Kite

Australian Kestrel in a perfect picnic spot
 
 

And a nice sunset to conclude the day.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful pics - so vivid and clear! The Kestrel with the curling wave crests behind it is a particular highlight. It looks like a day there would be very good for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Christian, any sunny day in winter is good for the soul, and the walk is good for the body, quite invigorating

      Delete
  2. Just wow! Great photos as always. The weather and woolamai have been kind of late!
    Seeing that cat gets me churned up all angry like ... like ... well
    "...... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli"
    You started it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ,,, but I didn't get to rescue any whales

      Beautiful weather all week, wish I'd seen the blue winged parrots

      Delete
  3. Wonderful pictures. I was there on a bleak miserable day 20 years ago. The detail and colours are superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it can be a bleak place on a miserable day, we had a nice week at the start of winter so I took advantage of it.

      Delete