Thursday, July 4, 2013

Australasian Bittern at Braeside Park



Walking along the Governor Rd track at Braeside Park proved a good decision when an Australasian Bittern appeared out of nowhere. At first I was dismissive of the sighting as I was watching a Whistling Kite in the distance, but the lack of urgency in the way the bird flew made have a second look. My second ever sighting of this species was quickly confirmed as it flew past into the direction of the sun, making photography a bit tricky. I did, however, manage to get one half reasonable photo.

4 comments:

  1. Nicely done! I've never seen a Bittern myself - doesn't help that they're both uncommon and shy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so true Christian, they are hard to find and even harder to see, unless they get flushed of course

      Delete
  2. Congratulations. I nice find and a great catch!

    ReplyDelete